Jim McKee: Omaha’s first two hospitals both claim to be the oldest | Nebraska News
The Omaha city directory for 1881 shows only one hospital, St. Joseph’s at 1217 Mason, with 12 physicians. No mention is made of Child’s Hospital, although it certainly operated until the fire, when the 1886 directory lists both St. Joseph’s and Children’s (Child’s) Hospital.
In the 1916 directory, 45 hospitals were listed, but included various “houses”, including several for the unfortunate. It further reads âSt. Joseph’s Hospital located at the northeast corner of 10th and Castellar streets is the oldest hospital in town.
In January 1891, the Association of Homes and Hospitals of the Deaconess of Omaha of the Methodist Episcopal Church was formed. Fortunately, its name has generally been abbreviated as Nebraska Methodist Hospital.
In anticipation of their opening, they offered “memberships” for $ 10 per year or $ 250 for life. Their hospital opened as a former eye clinic in 20th and Harney. The frame, two floors and a third floor with sloping ceilings, opened in May. In 1908, the hospital moved to a new four-story building, valued at $ 212,000, at 3612 Cuming, calling its facility the largest hospital in Omaha. In April 1968, they moved into their new nine-story, 328-bed, $ 12,610,000, and 12 operating room building at 8303 Dodge.
Over the years, other hospitals have grown in number, including Dr. Mercer’s four-bed dispensary in Harney in the 1880s and the nine-building $ 214,000 Douglas County Hospital complex circa 1890. L he Presbyterian hospital opened in 1890, Wise Memorial in 1899 the first as a 30-bed hospital in a 10-room house at 2225 Sherman. Immanuel, whose board of directors included Dr. Miller, opened in 1890 and Nebraska Medical’s expansive multicampus locations, which received an initial legislative credit of $ 150,000 allowing their move from 1,714 Dodge to 42nd and Dewey.