Ulverston Methodists began their 250th anniversary celebration in 1988
Ulverston Methodists began their 250th anniversary celebration in May 1988 with a procession of witnesses through the streets of the town to the Market Cross.
There they held a short celebratory service led by the Reverend George Beck, of Grange, Minister Superintendent of Ulverston Circuit.
Around 90 Ulverston church members, led by the Boy Brigade group, marched from the Neville Street classroom along Chapel Street and The Ellers before turning to Market Street, which was teeming with shoppers and of tourists.
The junior members of the church marching in the procession were dressed in John Wesley period costume.
Among the banners carried around town was one recently made for Wesley’s celebration by more than 40 church members titled Fruits of the Earth.
At the market cross, marchers were joined by townspeople and tourists as they sang hymns.
Reverend Beck then delivered a short address recounting the conversation of John Wesley and his brother Charles, which ultimately led to the founding of Methodism on May 24, 1738.
The celebration in Ulverston continued the following day with junior members of the church putting on a special performance during the morning service at Neville Street Church.
And a festival of praise called How Great Aflame was held at 6.15pm, attended by Methodists from all over the circuit, from as far away as Grange and Swarthmoor.
The church was packed and choirs from different churches led the congregation in singing accompanied by organist George Walker.
Reverend Beck was assisted by three readers, the rector of Ulverston, the Reverend John Holden, Stanley Harrison of Grange and Gill Mitchell of Sparkbridge Church.
The final prayer and benediction was given by the Reverend Bruce Blantern, minister of Ulverston Methodist Church.
Over the weekend, a Wesleyana exhibit was held in the Neville Street Classroom, featuring photographs, books and artifacts related to the history of the Methodist Church.